[PLUG] Anyone on Second Life?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Jan 23 04:51:47 UTC 2007

Robert Citek wrote:

>> Has anyone tried the Linux alpha client for Second Life?
>
> Not, yet.  But on my list of things to try.  How is it?

I haven't tried it (SL with any client) yet. I'll have a bit more time
next month, so I'm just gearing up for it. I heard about it from some
friends who are mostly Mac folk, and use it to get together on line.
They want me to join them.

I went to http://secondlife.com/ to have a look around and found that
they have clients for XP and OS-X, so I went to their contact page and
started a question about when they'd have a Linux client. I was
impressed to find that their contact page is "smarter" than a simple
e-mail entry form. After clicking the submit button, they returned a
page that said that they didn't actually submit my question, yet, and
gave me a list of links, with abstracts, that their engine thinks are
related to my question. The first one was a link to a page offering an
alpha client. They have caveats about using it -- something to do with
changes made from the alpha client being permanent. I still don't know
enough about SL to know what that means, but I'm glad to be warned up front.

I'll be giving SL a try sometime next month. Meanwhile, if anyone's
tried the alpha client, I'd like to know about any other gotchas.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens