[PLUG] Grub mess - almost there

Tony Rick tonyr at hevanet.com
Wed Jan 24 07:31:11 UTC 2007

The explanation for that command line is at
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/install.html#install

That is actually a pretty good manual. It also suggests that you don't
use the 'install' command, but instead use the 'setup' command.
Here <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351> is a Ubuntu Forum
post from someone who did it that way. The
thread is about installing from a LiveCD, but the method is general
(i.e., doesn't matter where you do it from as long as you booted into
linux somewhere and the grub utilites are installed). You should
verify that the grub stuff is really installed on hda2; I assume that
is your desired root device.

Here is another suggestion. Copy the 2.6.17-10 stanzas (stanza means
everything between 'title' and 'boot', inclusive) from the hda2 menu.list
to the hda3 menu.list, at the bottom. Change hd(0,2) wherever it exists
in those
stanzas to hd(0,1). (I'm assuming here that the 2.6.17-10 kernel really
is on hda2). Change those ugly-looking root=<nasty-id-string> things
to root=/dev/hda2. Reboot. The 2.6.17-10 kernel selections should appear
in the boot menu now. Select one, then do the grub
install business. Then do the cleanup business.

- tony