[PLUG] looking for new ISP

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 22:36:01 UTC 2007

On 1/24/07, eehouse <eehouse at eehouse.org> wrote:

> > Message: 2
> > Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:44:00 -0800
> > From: "drew wymore" <drew.wymore at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [PLUG] looking for new ISP
> > To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help,  civil and on-topic"
> >       <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> >
> > Unless [iinet has] changed you don't get a heck of a lot out of
> > shell accounts. No ping and you can compile your own binaries as I
> > recall but its a Solaris box that hosts the shell server so
> > depending on what you're working on it may not compile at all.
>
> Given a current compiler I should be able to build anything I need,
> no?  My problem with my current ISP is that nothing builds with gcc
> 2.9.5 anymore.  Including the current binutils, making bootstrapping
> a contemporary environment more trouble than it's worth.
>
> I haven't used Solaris since 2000, and didn't build much software for
> it.  Is it ignored by the open source community?  I'd hope the
> mainstream stuff would "just compile" as it does on a modern Linux
> distro.
>
> I need/want emacs, subversion, make, gcc, lynx, screen -- nothing
> unusual about any of that I'd hope.
>
> Still no word from iinet on whether they provide these.  Sales didn't
> know what they are. :-)
>
> --Eric

When I left in 2004 we had emacs and lynx and I'm pretty sure screen. I know
we didn't have subversion and I highly doubt that they would have installed
it since then. Shell accounts were given as is without any form of support.
There wasn't GCC or make but there were the solaris equivalents. I'm
emailing you some contact info privately to pass along to your sales guy to
see if they can find out whats available now.

Drew-