[PLUG] A New Issue: Can't Print

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jan 25 01:36:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:57:41 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>    This has become a major PITA. I just tried to send a pdf file to the
> printer using lpr. It never came out; when I look at /usr/sbin/printers,
> there it sits in the jobs queue.
>
>    I've restarted cupsd.
>
>    I'm able to ping the printer (it's a node on the network).
>
>    Looking at running processes I find these:
>
> 5481 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/gs -dQUIET -dDEBUG -dPARANOIDSAFER -dNOPAUSE
> 5482 ?        S      0:00 laser5_duplex 1559 root Printer Test Page 1
> 5483 ?        S      0:00 socket://lj5:9100/ 1559 root Printer Test Page 1

<snip>

I'm far from a guru about CUPS, printing or networking. But I noticed
that you are printing PDF files and that piqued my curiosity because I
have problems printing them as well. I always get output, though --
just not the right output.

My printers are Laserjets and they are networked. I have tried sending
PDF files to them directly with lpr and never have a problem getting
output. But I set up the printers in CUPS and make sure I can print a
test page from the CUPS GUI first. Then, when printing with an lpr or
lp command I use the name of the printer as defined in CUPS. E.g., to
print 10 copies of test.pdf to my Laserjet 8000, whose name in CUPS is
"Laserjet-8000-Series-Postscript-(recommended)" I give the command:

lpr -P Laserjet-8000-Series-Postscript-(recommended) -# 10 test.pdf

or

lp -d Laserjet-8000-Series-Postscript-(recommended) -n 10 test.pdf