[PLUG] A New Issue: Can't Print

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Jan 25 07:06:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 04:57:41PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   This has become a major PITA. I just tried to send a pdf file to the
> printer using lpr. It never came out; when I look at /usr/sbin/printers,
> there it sits in the jobs queue.
>   What critical step have I overlooked?

It pings, so it has power and data - if the IP address is correct and
nothing else on the network is stepping on it.  Paper?  Jam?  Toner?

CUPS needs to render the pdf file to Postscript in order to print.
How big is the file?  Is there enough room in /var and /tmp to do
the work?

Have you tried doing pdf2ps on the file, and printing the resulting
postscript?

A couple days ago, I had a lockup that went away when I removed a very
large file from the job queue, and power cycled the printer (HP4M, BTW).
Perhaps something like that will help you.

Keith