[PLUG] On ISPs not delvering email to DSL...

someone plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Thu Jan 25 19:55:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 18:08 +0000, eehouse wrote:
> * Many ISPs won't deliver mail to the IP ranges known to belong to DSL
>   providers.

How do ISPs know which numbers these are and is this public
information?

Opus DSL hasn't been flaky at all.  I have no problem running
a web site in house on their service.

So, if you are a fiber optics customer you are okay?  But how much
do non DSL broadband connections cost?  How many ip addresses are
available that aren't reserved for DSL?

Is the backbone of the Internet IPv6 based now?  Is the kind of
broadband ISP's feed DSL from expensive because of ip address
shortage or other factors?  How much does getting on the large
fiber optics networks in South Korea touting 20 mb/s connections
cost per month in U.S. dollars?  Aside from fiber optics being
rare in the U.S. because you have to run fiber, how has it become
cost effective in South Korea?

Is piecewise replacement of a POTS system with fiber optics a
cost effective approach to fiber deployment?  What would it take
to build public fiber rings in small cities and interconnect them
to achieve a larger network?

Does ISP blocking of DSL IP blocks negate the usefulness of static
subnets over DSL?  Is the discrimination solely aimed at the dynamic
address pool?  If I'm not mistaken, DSL's theoretical max downstream
speed is 45 megabits per second.  Most of us are lucky if we can
do 3 mbps/downstream.  I'm on 1.5 mbps/downstream right now.

I wish the phone system in Scappoose was publicly owned let
alone locally owned.  I do not like CenturyTel.  I do not
understand why we have nationwide telecommunications
mega corporations that are not accountable to their customers.
It would be awesome to see the establishment of competitive
publicly owned telephone companies in the Portland Metropolitan
Area offering Broadband and local and long distance telephone
service.

Separately on Comcast:

Why is Comcast consistently above the phone company's DSL in
price?  Comcast is faster, but the company forces it's
subscribers to pay more per month.  I've asked why they don't
offer comparable speed to DSL at a competitive price, but I
didn't get an answer.  Is it true that cable's performance
dwindles in comparison to DSL as more people in your
community get on it?  Is Comcast trying to cover
infrastructure costs going to catch up to the phone
company and lower the price of off promotion service
to its customers when it does?

Are cable IP blocks avoided as well by some ISPs?