[PLUG] irregular monitor flicker

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sat Jan 27 02:26:29 UTC 2007

>From: Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com>
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 06:32:14PM -0800, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> > By Wikipedia's calculations, around 1900 lbs of pressure on the front
> > face of a 17" CRT. Maybe PDX should pave roads with CRTs, they seem up
> > to the task, unlike the thin asphault used around PDX.
> >
> > Also from Wikipedia, apparently earlier CRTs could rupture around the
> > neck and propel the electron guns through the faceplate. Must of been an
> > /interesting/ experience.
>
> The glass around the electron gun ("the neck") is thin compared to the
> faceplate, which must be thick for safety, radiation, and mechanical
> stability reasons.  The neck glass is thinner partly to place the
> deflection yoke closer to the electron beam, but the main reason is
> that consumers aren't normally exposed to it;  better to put extra
> glass in the faceplate rather than the neck.  The weakest place is
> the evacuation stem in the center of the pins, and breaking that is
> pretty safe.  But the glass weld from the neck to the bell of the CRT
> is weak and under high stress, and thicker glass just makes it worse
> (more cooling mismatch after the weld).  This is typically where a
> CRT breaks, and breaking throws very sharp shards.  Most go inwards,
> but the mechanics of chaotic rapid fracturing will send some of the
> shards in all directions.

>From my read of the article they were refering to complete fractures
around the neck causing air pressure to propelling the electron guns
forward with sufficient force to go completely through the faceplate. I
would not of wanted to be in front if that happened. Might of been
interesting to witness, from several yards away.

> Elliott, you may like CRT monitors a lot, but when you clean one,
> don't risk a Darwin award attempting to prove your invulnerability.
> CRTs in dusty places need to be cleaned for safety reasons - so do
> desktop PC power supplies.  Some people here may not have the money
> to get their CRT monitors cleaned professionally, and I would not
> want their maiming to be on my conscience.  YMMV, of course.

I like CRTs for display. I said nothing of liking cleaning them. Even
without the reminder I wouldn't try it. Thanks for the reminder of why
though.