[PLUG] This article on BSD...

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Jan 30 17:34:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 12:24 -0800, Charlie Schluting wrote:
> On 1/26/07 12:09 PM, Wil Cooley wrote:
> >
> > And I'm peevish, so let's roll.
>
> I don't like to disagree with you, Wil, but I must correct some things :)

Bull, you love it!

> What?! This is mainly why I responded again...
> Solaris has had SVM for a long time, which is functionally equivalent to
> LVM. I feel it's easier to manage, but opinions vary. More to the point,
> Linux can't do filesystem snapshots!
> (Of course: ZFS++ but we're talking about something different here)

You're right; SVM (nee Solstice Disk Suite) can actually be used with /
and /usr; I don't know if it's new or if I just never found it before:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4520/6manpiejm?a=view

I concede that Solaris has improved (finally) to the point of being
useful.  You still have not established that "Linux is horribly
unstable."

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>