[PLUG] This article on BSD...

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Tue Jan 30 19:33:23 UTC 2007

Wil Cooley wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 12:24 -0800, Charlie Schluting wrote:
>> On 1/26/07 12:09 PM, Wil Cooley wrote:
>>> And I'm peevish, so let's roll.
>> I don't like to disagree with you, Wil, but I must correct some things :)
>
> Bull, you love it!
>
>> What?! This is mainly why I responded again...
>> Solaris has had SVM for a long time, which is functionally equivalent to
>> LVM. I feel it's easier to manage, but opinions vary. More to the point,
>> Linux can't do filesystem snapshots!
>> (Of course: ZFS++ but we're talking about something different here)
>
> You're right; SVM (nee Solstice Disk Suite) can actually be used with /
> and /usr; I don't know if it's new or if I just never found it before:
>
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4520/6manpiejm?a=view
>
> I concede that Solaris has improved (finally) to the point of being
> useful.  You still have not established that "Linux is horribly
> unstable."

Oh yeah?

MySpace runs on 64-bit Windows, using experimental versions of 64-bit
SQL-Server!

Seriously, this article made me raise an eyebrow.  Yes it's MySpace,
which I don't use, and is buggy, and we could all come up with reasons
why it would be better running it on FOSS, but still.. impressive for a
Windows environment (would be an impressive design on a FOSS environment
for that matter).

http://www.cioinsight.com/article2/0,1540,2084842,00.asp

The presentation on the design of LiveJournal was interesting as well,
which is FOSS:

http://tinyurl.com/2nbxby (Google PDF -> HTML link)
http://www.danga.com/words/2004_mysqlcon/mysql-slides.pdf

Now that AMD has been punted from Sun, and Intel is pitching Solaris, I
need to formulate my "not if but when" plan for the Great Linux to
Solaris migration that everyone is going to be demanding here pretty
soon. ;)

Solaris wouldn't be where it is without the pressure from Linux (would
we even have FOSS Java?).  I say let them all live, and they will all
grow off each other (ZFS for Linux, please!).  GNU and GNU-like systems
allow skills to transfer.  A competitive market is great for us.  The
day AMD tanks is the day Intel stops innovating.

Plan9 forever!

--
I'm just a packet pusher.