[PLUG] Laptop recommendations (again)

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Thu Jul 5 03:31:14 UTC 2007

Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> I don't need any fancy docking station.  I'm just going to keep a USB
> keyboard and trackball near my big monitor on my desk to use in my home
> office.

It's one button to get your machine and go vs. mouse, keyboard, monitor,
and power adapter.  It has nothing to do with "fancy", it's just
convenient.  If you've never had one it will take you about 3 or 4 times
using it to love it.

> Ideally, I will use the thing in dual-monitor mode on my desk with the
> laptop in one of those upright book-holders.

Dual monitor with your laptop folded up in a book holder?  Doesn't that
just leave one monitor viewable?  How is that dual?

> A dock port's not that necessary for my needs.  And I talked to a Dell
> guy yesterday who said that Dell offers no DVI outputs on anything
> smaller than 17" laptop.  I would like to avoid something that large.

The Macbook's have a mini-DVI port, and they are smaller than 17", and
they don't even offer a dock.  Any new laptop will push 1680x1050 ok.

--
- m0gely