[PLUG] FC6 GNOME login issues

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 03:13:55 UTC 2007

On 7/6/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb at cesmail.net> wrote:

> Matt McKenzie wrote:
> > OK this one seems kind of simple at first, but the obvious fixes don't
> seem
> > to fix it.
> >
> > I have a dual boot system (acutally multi boot, but only use 2 often),
> XP
> > and Fedora 6.
> > Everything was going hunky-dory, I was using Fedora just yesterday, and
> > rebooted into XP for a while.
> > Now today I go back to Fedora, try to login to GNOME, and it crashes,
> and
> > goes back to the GDM greeter login.
> >
> > I try KDE, which I have on there but don't use very much.  It works
> fine.
> >
> > So back to trying to debug GNOME issue, since it isn't an X issue.
> >
> > I remove the ~/.gnome2/session and copy the default one in its place.
> > Still
> > same thing.
> > I rename the whole .gnome2 directory to .backupgnome2, and try again,
> still
> > no dice.
> > I have recently been using Beryl, which is my next place to look for
> > issues-
> > but it has been working fine with Beryl for a while now.  Just started
> > acting up today.
> >
> > My only other guess right now is a recent package update that could've
> > messed things up, I was running yum updates yesterday.
> >
> > I am also going to try to upgrade to Fedora 7 at some point soon, but I
> > want
> > to at least try to get this issue resolved before doing so, since I want
> > do an upgrade instead of a clean install.
> > If it comes down to it, I have /home as a separate partition so I can
> just
> > do a clean install, but I would prefer to try an upgrade first to keep
> all
> > the settings etc.  Even when keeping /home on a separate partition, with
> > clean install there are still several things that need to be tweaked
> > afterward to get things running just right.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> I don't know much about Gnome, but it's really strange that things got
> icky after you used XP. Do you by any chance have some Linux state in a
> shared (FAT32) partition that both Linux and XP can access? That could
> be a source of problems. I have a shared partition on my dual-booted
> laptop, and about the only thing that's there now is a copy of
> /boot/grub, so I can change the menu.lst from either Windows or Linux.

No there is nothing really "shared" between them, except the fact that the
GRUB bootloader resides on the Windows drive.  And I have booted back and
forth between them many times, it doesn't seem to me that XP has anything to
do with it, more likely some configuration issues or something.  I am
starting to lean towards an issue with Beryl.

Here's a question- how can I change it so that GNOME uses regular Metacity
instead of Beryl, without being able to log in to GNOME?  Is it some config
file I can change?  I'll do some digging on my own but if anyone knows
offhand... :)

By the way, I *really* like Fedora 7. If I hadn't gotten Gentoo
> engrained in my muscle memory, I would probably build a Fedora machine.

I will hopefully upgrade this thing to Fedora 7 in the near future, one way
or another ;)