[PLUG] crazy postfix problem - fixed

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Sat Jul 7 15:36:46 UTC 2007

Well, I didn't say Qmail sucks. I have worked with it some and it seems very
reliable. For me, it's more complex than I want an MTA to be. Some people
swear by it, I didn't like it. YMMV :)

I don't think Postfix sucks either. I've used it on and off since the early
versions came out, and had very good results. I've never tried to do exactly
what you're trying to do, though.

I didn't find it difficult to configure, even in the early days when there
was not a lot of information about it. It was actually much easier to
configure to me than Sendmail.

When Wietse designed Postfix, he had the benefit of seeing the MTAs that
came before. He was certainly very familiar with Qmail, and also chose to go
with a modular design, as opposed to Sendmail's one big binary. One thing I
think he did very well was making Postfix a pretty easy drop in replacement
for Sendmail, which shipped with pretty much every *nix at the time. That's
much less the case now.

That post I found was just from a quick google. I agree with Rich S., asking
on the Postfix list would be a good idea. I've never used a front end
configurator for Postfix, but I would be very surprised if someone had not
written one by now, it's been around for years.

I'm not very dogmatic about tools, find the one that does the job best for
you. That might mean giving Qmail a test drive too. You mentioned Exim in
one of your earlier posts, you might actually want to check it out. I've
never used it, but it seems very reliable and easy to configure.

Rich