[PLUG] Gnome Question - Cycling Wallpaper?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Jul 9 01:38:26 UTC 2007

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, Guy Letourneau wrote:

> Quentin Hartman wrote:
>> I wrote a script many many moons ago that did this. I'll see if I can dig
>> it
>> out of my archives. If I can find it, I'll post it to the list.
>>
>> Generally speaking though, there are about a gajillion different ways this
>> could be achieved. The "gnome-ish" way to do this would be to modify the
>> gconf key in desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename to be the path to
>> the
>> file you want. You could write a script that called gconftool-2 and had it
>> modify the key, and then sleep X seconds and do it again. That's how script
>> worked. You could also just write a script that changed it and then got
>> executed by cron.
>>
>> Maybe that is enough information for you to google out a complete solution?
> I sincerely thank you for your reply. Thing is, I am a Linux *user.* I cannot
> write scripts. By trade, I am a mechanical engineer by day - with computers,
> I already have too many other things to learn from scratch first. For now I
> am struggling with Blender.
>
> I already hit Google and found a solution which I tried but it didn't work. I
> also read up on www.gnome.org, and nothing there indicated that this was
> possible.
>
> Many thanks again. If there's a one line command to do this, I'll give it a
> shot; if not I'll just resign the request. I have been *using* Linux for
> about 6 years, so I am used to giving up on simple desires.

For Gnome there are a couple of apps that will cycle wallpapers.

The app I use is called "Wallpaper Tray".  If you are using Fedora, just
use "yum install wp_tray".

If you are using a different distro, you can find the main project at
http://planetearthworm.com/projects/wp_tray/

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct