[PLUG] SPAM harder to fight...

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Jul 10 16:29:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, MJang wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 19:25 -0700, someone wrote:
>> Anyone having a harder time fighting spam lately?
>>
>> I sure am.  I've been trying to build my own IP blacklist, but this is
>> not very effective.
>
>> From the recent postings to PLUG-Jobs, seems like PLUG is having a
> harder time fighting spam too....

Greylisting killed off a huge chunk of my spam load.  I just wish it was
easier to do under QMail.  (I don't use it, but a friend does and it is a
pain to set up right and non-hacky.)

Amavis-new just came out with a new version. It has a huge list of
dependancies, but for what it tries to do it needs them.  (I have gotten
three different malware binaries that Amavis cannot read using the default
Fedora install.  They are self-extracting rar files with an interesting
payload that only works on Windows.) Installing Amavis on QMail is even
more painful without killing the server.  (It forks a version of Perl for
every mail message.)  There is a fix, but I have not tested it yet.

There are some additional filters for SpamAssassin, but I have not seen
any spam that would trigger them in a long while.

I don't know if there are any good solutions for the spam problem.  The
only one I have seen that seemed to be effective was used in Russia once.
It has not been used (unfortunatly) since.

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct