[PLUG] SPAM harder to fight...

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue Jul 10 17:54:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 07:25:48PM -0700, someone wrote:
> Anyone having a harder time fighting spam lately?
>
> I sure am.  I've been trying to build my own IP blacklist, but this is
> not very effective.

No, it's not very effective.  Especially when LOTS of other people are
already doing it for you.  Google "RBL".

> How can postfix be configured so that mail is 550'ed when spamassassin
> etcetera doesn't like it?

http://www.google.com/search?q=spamassassin+postfix+550+reject
Or is all of PLUG's time worth less than yours?

> I've gotten to the point where spam is a  bugger problem than false
> positives.

Before-queue inspection is slow and inefficient.  Stick with
greylisting and filter what little makes it past that.

I've been using the FuzzyOCR plugin to catch the GIF spams, but it isn't
catching the PDF spams.  Luckily, those have enough spammy stigma that
most of those get filtered, too.

> Another thought, <snip>

You're working to hard at this.  You can catch like 95% of spam with
hardly any effort and negligible false positives.  You can get to, say,
97% with some extra effort, and 98% with a LOT of effort.  Unless you're
being paid $60k/yr to just do email, there are more appropriate things
to do with your (and everyone else's) time.