[PLUG] subversion...

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 21:50:59 UTC 2007

There's no "the replacement" for CVS, but it definitely has some
significant advantages over CVS/RCS, etc.  Other projects handle
things similarly with more features or differently (git, perforce,
etc).   I've found svn to be a practical replacement for CVS in all
instances I've had, having replaced CVS repositories fully with SVN.
It ties in with Eclipse fully, which if used is wonderful; this has
proven quite handy for large Java application development groups.  Its
use from the cmdline is superior to perforce, IMO, which is why I tend
to use it for systems projects even when a perforce deployment is in
place for development.

http://subversion.tigris.org/

I've got both "Practical Subversion" (which I love if for no reason
than the title alone ;), and "Subversion Version Control".  Been a
while since I've gone through them, but check Amazon for reviews and
discount prices, etc.

/eli