[PLUG] subversion...

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 22:06:44 UTC 2007

darcs is also worth looking into.  It's not as widely used, but it
also has some distinct advantages over cvs/svn: for example, it
doesn't use a specific transport protocol, so you can checkout a darcs
repo over http / ftp / etc... and committing can be done directly via
email (if you don't have write access to the repo) so it's trivial to
contribute to a project that uses darcs -- your committed code goes
right into the maintainer's mailbox.. (configurable, of course).

Every darcs check-out also acts as a self-contained repository, so you
can make local commits, roll back your changes, accept commits from
others who checked out from your version, then roll the aggregated
changes back upstream to the main location.  It's like branching /
forking, but with out introducing new syntax.

http://darcs.net/

It's also based on patch theory, which I don't understand ;) but
removes the typical tie between files and version control.  (Have you
ever tried to restore a file that was deleted, then recreated with
different content but the same file name?)

Anyway, it's worth consideration.

--Rogan