[PLUG] subversion...

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Jul 11 22:20:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I like subversion. It has several advantages over CVS:
>
> * multiple authentication schemes -- standalone, system accounts,
>   Apache auth -- the latter with something resembling ACLs
> * renaming and/or moving files is easy
> * supports binary files
> * great tie-in with Trac: http://trac.edgewall.org/
> * native support for repository mirroring
>
> The major disadvantage (well, it's a disadvantage in my eyes; others may
> differ) is that you can't tweak the repository by using standard Unix tools
> on it. You've pretty much got to treat the repo as a black box, trusting the
> subversion utilities to handle all maintenance tasks.

The other major problem with Subversion is that if you add something to
the repository by mistake, you are pretty much stuck with it without
drastic measures.  They assume if you do something, you meant to do it and
there is no going back without manual rebuilding of the repository.

Randal gave a good talk on Git (another source code control system) at
Advanced Topics a couple of months ago.  Towards the end Linus started
ranting about CVS, Subversion and source code control philosophy.
"Best... Meeting... Ever..."

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct