[PLUG] SPAM harder to fight...

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Jul 12 18:12:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 08:19:06PM -0700, someone wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 10:54 -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 07:25:48PM -0700, someone wrote:
> > > How can postfix be configured so that mail is 550'ed when spamassassin
> > > etcetera doesn't like it?
> >
> > http://www.google.com/search?q=spamassassin+postfix+550+reject
> > Or is all of PLUG's time worth less than yours?
>
> With all due respect, a moderator didn't think my posts were a
> waste and this is a moderated list.

This is not a moderated list.  Even if it were, you (and not anyone else)
are responsible for what you do.

> I do not consider the average plug user's time worthless.

Then do folks the courtesy of spending 30 seconds trying to answer your
quesion yourself before asking the list.

Consider how long it takes to read and think about a question asked in
email.  Let's call that a conservative 10 seconds.  Multiply that by the
number of people subscribed to PLUG, 632.  That's 6320 human-seconds, or
_1_hour,_45_minutes,_20_seconds_ of other people's time you've taken,
because you couldn't be bothered to do a little research first.

> I hope someone can offer pointers on using regular expression checks
> to trigger greylisting.  I can't do blanket greylisting, some servers
> that are legit don't retry.

Oh?  In my experience, all servers retry, though some are slow.  You can
manually whitelist them: http://www.google.com/search?q=postgrey+whitelist

> My smtp partner will become very displeased and accuse me of losing
> important email to him.

I'm sorry you're dealing with someone who thinks that you're responsible
for other people's broken MTAs.  I hope you are charging appropriately.

And why are you afraid to put your own name on your emails, Michael?

Sorry for straying into PLUG-Talk territory,
  Aaron