[PLUG] Mail Client Recommendation; or Unnecessary Deprecation Bites

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Jul 13 07:55:24 UTC 2007

So, does anyone in the world care about new technology in non-web-based
email clients?

In my experience, people either use webmail of their choice (and envy
gmail's technology while bitching about its creepiness) or are hopelessly
tied to some old client they started using fifteen years ago (*raises
hand*).

Who's doing the hotstuff email client these days?  I want near-magical
threading (like keeping threads together no matter what foreign clients
might have done to munge the headers), automatic address-booking of every
address I type, and I require it to speak to a couple of mail servers and
allow me to choose from a number of accounts for each message composition,
reply, forward, or bounce.  I wouldn't mind something that has calendar
integration -- especially if it links to some database or service that I
can run for updating and checking my calendar via the web and automating
calendar-linked processes (like texting myself when I have an
appointment).

I've been using Pine forever.  I tried using mutt and got nowhere with it
because the benefits (proper freedom) were not totally effective at
motivating me to tackle the .muttrc and make it handle my various roles
properly.

I am currently using Sylpheed for my school IMAP account, but I don't like
it much and it seems relatively feature-free.

Whatever you've got, I'll read.

J.
--
      Jeme A Brelin