[PLUG] Mail Client Recommendation; or Unnecessary Deprecation Bites

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 18:11:34 UTC 2007

On 7/13/07, Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> wrote:

> Who's doing the hotstuff email client these days?

As far as I know, nobody. Everyone has gotten so caught up with "beating
Outlook" that no one seems to have put energy into a really killer email app
like you describe. Everyone stops at "good enough" and/or is so tied up
trying to emulate Outlook they aren't thinking about how it could be done
better. Thunderbird might get there, but it's not there yet. There's some
really exciting stuff happening in the Tinymail world, but that's mostly
focused at "light" email applications for handhelds and whatnot and is not
likely to have the feature set you want, but it would make a helluva
platform for someone to build on.

I used Sylpheed-claws (as JJJ mentioned) for while a few years ago, but it
didn't stick. I found the UI ugly / clunky, and it was less stable than I
need an email app to be.

I use Gmail for personal correspondence, and Evolution at work, where I have
to connect to an exchange box.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-