[PLUG] Any Audacity users?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Jul 14 02:36:39 UTC 2007

John Jason Jordan wrote:

>> Anyone else using Audacity, or some other program, to digitize 78's?

> What you want to do in Audacity is Effect > Change Tempo, not Effect >
> Change Speed. I don't know what magic Audacity uses to do it, but
> Effect > Change Tempo slows the playback time down without changing the
> pitch. You'll have to experiment with it a bit to get 78 rpm down to 33
> or 45 rpm.

Thanks. As soon as I get a new stylus I'll give it a try. However, what
I'll need to do is speed up a 33 rpm recording to 78. (May be a semantic
difference between us.)

> And yes, you need a different needle. 33, 45 and 16 rpm use a needle
> 1/3 the size of the old 78 rpm needle. You may need to change the
> entire cartridge. It may also be hard to find the old size
> needle/cartridge.

I have found sources for a stylus specifically marketed for my model
turntable. It's about $25, which seems a bit steep for a needle, but the
old recordings would be damaged if I used the other needle, so it will
be worth the expense. Also, the current needle would be damaged, too,
from dragging through the dust in the bottom of the groove, not to
mention missing most of the important stuff featured up a little higher
in the groove.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens