[PLUG] tools for windows-haters?

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 06:00:23 UTC 2007

Help!  I have to use windows to make cross-platform open source software
work on windows so that windows users won't have an excuse to use
windows.

I've tried cygwin and sshd, but the login time (with key authentication)
is about 2 seconds.  I can't find anything in the internets about slow
sshd on cygwin.  But even if I could, I'm not sure that would solve the
problem.

What I really want is a remote shell with access to the gui (but not a
gui shell), decent job control, tab complete.  You know: linux.  Is
there any way to do this on win2k?

I'm already suffering huge headaches with everything else that's wrong
about windows, but the cmd shell makes me feel like I'm working through
a fog and cygwin (if it doesn't make things foggier) is only a small
flashlight vs the soup.

Any suggestions on how I might minimize the swearing?

Thanks,
Eric
--
The first rule about Debian is you don't talk about Debian