[PLUG] dhclient(?) providing it's own dhcp address?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jul 18 18:46:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 07:15:35AM -0700, Sean Whitney wrote:
> I will assume that the IP scope you are getting a lease on is 192.168.100.x
>
> The cable modem itself is giving you lease, this is by design.  It
> allows for internal troubleshooting so that techs can view modem
> information.
>
> This is standard on most cable modems.
>
> Try going to 192.168.100.1 and see what you get.
>
> I have a route in my firewall, that allows me to see this even when my
> IP is being served by Comcast's DHCP server.

Oh, my.  I learn something new every day.  The number they picked and
the number I picked was the same.

Yesterday, my local net was 192.168.100 , established long before the
cable modem arrived.  After an hour of relabelling and readdressing
machines, it is now something else.   If I see .100, I will now know
what it is, and if I see the new number, I will go back to fretting
about enemy action.

Thanks for the info!

Keith