[PLUG] Wireless Networking on ThinkPad 600E/Xubuntu-7.04

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 15:00:25 UTC 2007

I have a Thinkpad T23 and a Gold card (not sure it's lucent, but probably)
that works fine w/ 7.04. I also have a $15 Fry's house-brand b/g card that
"just works". I've never needed to do any futzing with them on any version
of Ubuntu I've used with them. Under 7.04, the pre-installed network manager
tool for gnome has always just done the trick. With the gold card, I do
sometimes have to insert, remove, re-insert to get it to actually come up.

On 7/20/07, Bill Barry <barryb at proaxis.com> wrote:

> On 7/20/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Kenneth B. Hill wrote:
> >
> > > Have you looked here?
> > > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported
> >
> > Ken,
> >
> >    No, I hadn't found that.
> >
> >    The Lucent Gold is not listed at all. The only one mentioning Orinoco
> > does
> > not appear to work as well as do others.
> >
> >    Now I'm in the market for a new PCMCIA wireless card for that laptop.
> >
> > Rich,
>    I am sending this to you via an Orinoco Silver wireless card in a
> Thinkpad 600. It is running Debian testing with a 2.6.15 kernel. The
> Orinoco
> cards have always been well supported.  Are you sure that there is not
> some
> configuration problem. One of the things i believe the Orinoco does not
> support is the newer encryption methods like WPA.  Does iwconfig really
> show
> the interface as eth1? If iwconfig is showing your access point, then the
> card must be working.  What does ifup eth1  do?
>
> Bill Barry

-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-