[PLUG] Wireless Networking on ThinkPad 600E/Xubuntu-7.04

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 20 15:02:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Bill Barry wrote:

>  I am sending this to you via an Orinoco Silver wireless card in a
> Thinkpad 600. It is running Debian testing with a 2.6.15 kernel. The
> Orinoco cards have always been well supported.  Are you sure that there is
> not some configuration problem. One of the things i believe the Orinoco
> does not support is the newer encryption methods like WPA.  Does iwconfig
> really show the interface as eth1? If iwconfig is showing your access
> point, then the card must be working.  What does ifup eth1 do?

Bill,

   The Orinoco Gold worked before. The laptop is running the 2.6.20.5 kernel.

   If there's a configuation problem, I have not been able to identify it. We
don't use WPA or WEP. It's a static IP address on each host here, and
there's a small, but finite chance that someone outside might try to access
the 'Net or our network via the WAP.

   Both iwconfig and ifconfig show the interface as eth1. It appears that the
access point is recognized.

   ifup eth1 does nothing. The interface is configured but not running, and
running ifdown/ifup makes no difference.

   Hence, my frustration. I don't want to buy another card and have the same
issues.

Thanks,