[PLUG] Wireless Networking on ThinkPad 600E/Xubuntu-7.04

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 20 19:18:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Ah, sounds like you've tried to /help/ it.  Be careful: you're used to
> distros that require work to set things up, Ubuntoid distros assume you'll
> do nothing and they get pissy if you try to hand-configure.

Aaron,

   No, I've not tried to help it, only tried to get the wireless networking
going.

> Given your posting history, I know you like to customize, hand-configure
> and tweak things.  When something breaks, you get frustrated, post to
> PLUG and then eventually fix it on your own.  You might find Debian (or
> even Gentoo) more your style.

   Not necessarily. My reason for replacing Slackware with Xubuntu is to
reduce the need for my attention on this laptop. I want it to work with no
maintenance on my part.

   One of the major reasons I like Slackware is that the upgrades were fast
and painless and once up and running, it needs no maintenance other than the
security patches that are infrequent. So, the computers are just what I want
them to be: a means to an end, not an end in themselves.

> OK, do I get 19 more questions, then?

   Nope. Would take too long and not result in anything useful to either of
us. One hint: Xfce is based on CDE, not anything Microsoft has ever put out.

   GUI environments are like text editors, scripting languages, and
distributions. There's a plethora available because everyone has his own
preferences.