[PLUG] Identifying New External Hard Drive

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jul 21 21:50:17 UTC 2007

   I have a new 40G 2.5" hard drive that I've put in an external enclosure
and want to prepare for use. It's connected via a USB cable, but
/var/log/messages does not seem to recognize that new hardware is present.

   Before I run mkfs.ext3 on the drive, I need to identify it and mount it.
How do I identify a clean drive, and how do I specify a filesystem type when
I mount it?