[PLUG] Identifying New External Hard Drive

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Sat Jul 21 23:00:00 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 14:50 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    Before I run mkfs.ext3 on the drive, I need to identify it and mount it.
> How do I identify a clean drive, and how do I specify a filesystem type when
> I mount it?

Dear Rich,

If recognized by a HAL capable system, it should show up in the output
to the lsusb command. FYI, here's my output from a 120GB external drive
I have (connected to device 002)

# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0c0b:b001 Dura Micro, Inc. (Acomdata)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

The ID would be all zeros if the drive weren't recognized. If that's
your situation, I think Ken's suggestion applies - try a USB key, and
run lsusb again.

Thanks,
Mike