[PLUG] Identifying New External Hard Drive

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jul 21 23:08:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, Kenneth B. Hill wrote:

> Have you tried powering down both the computer and external hard drive.
> Then power them up together? I know this may sound a bit simplistic.

   Er, no. I don't power down my server/workstation. It ain't Microsoft. :-)

> Is this a new external hard drive? Usually they come with a CD/DVD for use
> with Windows/Mac computers.

> Is it a new hard drive or an external hard drive that you are connecting
> through a USB port on your computer? I'm a bit confused by your
> correspondence below.

   This is a new 2.5" hard drive I was going to use in a notebook. It is in
an enclosure I bought last week at ENU.

   I think it may be a power issue. I just hooked up the oversize IBM
Travelstar to the Bytecc adapter, and it was seen immediately. I can mount
/dev/sda1, 2, or 3 and read/write to those filesystems.

   I'll try the new drive on this adapter.