[PLUG] Laptop Repair Needed

Kenneth B. Hill ken at scottshill.com
Sun Jul 22 03:12:04 UTC 2007

> Kenneth B. Hill wrote:
>> I have a laptop PC that is about 7+ years old, and the display is
>> not working. There appears to be a switch that is now activating
>> when I open the lid/screen of the laptop. Has anyone had this
>> problem and successfully fixed it?
>> -Ken
>
> When I had a similar problem, I was advised that the problem was
> likely due to a faulty inverter (power supply for the lamp tube) or
> the lamp tube was dead. Inverters are available, and so are lamps,
> but replacing the latter is a task not to be taken on by the faint
> of heart or large of fingers.  Mine was the lamp (replacing the
> inverter did not fix it), so it sits unused. (The lamp can be as
> small as 1/16 inch diameter and as long as the screen, with
> soldered ends encased in silicone rubber.)
>
> You can determine if it is something other than these two by
> shining a bright flashlight at the screen at an oblique angle and
> looking for text.  If you see any, it is one of the two above.  If
> you can detect none (look really carefully), it could be the video.
>
> -Denis

Thank you for the input. My screen flickers when I move the lid/
screen back and forth (e.g., open to close postions). The screen
ususally does not work, but sometimes it does. I think it may be a
fault inverter. Have you replaced and inverter? Is it easier than
trying to replace a lamp tube?

I don't think it is the video, because I can plug in an external
monitor and all works fine.

-Ken