[PLUG] Wireless Networking on ThinkPad 600E/Xubuntu-7.04

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jul 22 13:35:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, Steve D... wrote:

> They can have my Orinoco Gold when they pry it from my cold, dead,
> laptop!  It is a great 802.11b card.
>
> There is stable Linux support for the Hermes chipset.  The card has
> great receiver sensitivity.  It also has an external antenna jack is
> for those days when you *really* need to find an open access port.

   I know, I know. But, for whatever the reason, two days of struggle and the
card is still not working with xubuntu. I have no idea how to identify the
source of the problem. The orinoco drivers are loaded. The link light comes
on. The interface (eth1) is configured, but it's not RUNNING.

   I don't know enough to look further and determine why a card that worked
out of the box (except it did not come in a box, I bought it from a local
vendor at the PLUG wireless clinic at Riverdale HS) no longer works with the
new distribution.

   If there is a set of steps of things to check, I need to have someone tell
me what that is. I can perform each step and report the results to someone
who knows how to interpret them.