[PLUG] dual USB cable (was: Identifying New External Hard Drive)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jul 24 15:44:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:24:45 -0700
Ken Hill <ken at scottshill.com> dijo:

> On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 06:44 -0700, Robert Citek wrote:
> > On 07/22/2007 08:57 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:15:53 -0700
> > > Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> dijo:

> > > There certainly does exist such a cable. I can say that with great
> > > certitude because I am looking at one on my desk as I type this. It has
> > > two standard USB plugs on one end, and the other end has a mini-USB
> > > plug. It came with a portable USB drive that takes the mini-USB plug.
> >
> > Anyone know what such a cable/adapter is called so that I can google for
> > it and buy one?
> >
> > Regards,
> > - Robert
>
> You can get a USB hub that add additional USB ports from one USB port on
> your computer. The hub has its own power supply. Belkin makes one.

That is an option, but a simple cable that has an extra connector on
one end to get power out of two ports would be cheaper and may be all
that Rober needs.

As for what they are called, I don't know. I do know that USB cables
come in a bewildering variety. There are several connector types, each
of which comes in male and female, plus specialty types like a USB to
iPod cable. They also come in different lengths and some have features
like "retractable," and so on.

I usually start looking on eBay to see what sellers there are calling
them. I've also seen them at Fry's, although I don't know if they have
a dual connector one with the specific type of connectors you need.