[PLUG] A PLUG wiki

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 21:41:14 UTC 2007

On 7/30/07, alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:

> > However, as I said above any decent wiki I don't have to run is good with me.
>
> My other concern with an "open wiki" is wiki spam.  If we do not have some
> barrier to posting, we are going to spend a lot of time removing crap from
> bots.

My personal wiki got a lot of wiki spam before I required accounts to
edit, now it gets virtually none.  (Creating an account only takes
about 45 seconds, and doesn't even have a captcha, but it was enough
to deter almost all spammers.)
Granted, the PLUG wiki would have more of a 'net presence than mine
does.. but it would also have more people who care about it.

Re: JotSpot -- I used it at work for abotu 6 months, and it was a
horrible mess.  The last straw was when we started loosing content
because of bugs in the locking mechanisms that were supposed to
prevent concurrent modification of the same content.  I could go on
and on... there were many, many less serious annoyances (Such as some
pages that you could only edit in xml, or only edit in WYSIWYG, or...)

The RSS feeds were useless/unreliable, no email notification, etc...
Google has a lot of work ahead of them to make jot a competitive
product, IMO.

--Rogan