[PLUG] Multi-User Environments

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 23:11:09 UTC 2007

On 07/30/2007 05:50 PM, Robert Kopp wrote:
> Sorry about the crummy subject line, but I'm considering the full
> spectrum of options for a few people to tap the power of one high-end
> computer simultaneously. There is a product called BeTwin for Windows
> that allows two to four people to use the same computer
> simultaneously by connecting an extra set of peripherals for each
> added user. Has anything similar been attempted for Linux?

Do you mean like this:

"Microsoft Surface, Watch Your Back! Here Comes MPX for X Server on Linux"

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/4072/microsoft_surface_watch

or this:

"Build a Six-headed, Six-user Linux System"

http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html

> I am impressed by RDP, a protocol used by thin clients to communicate
> with a server. In the past, this has meant a Windows server with
> terminal services, but the XRDP project is bringing these
> capabilities to Linux servers. (If someone on this list is already
> using it, I would be particularly interested in their comments.)

X11 and later VNC have been doing this long before RDP.  Most people
think of X11 as a windowing system, but perhaps it's better thought of
as a communications protocol for windowing.

That said, what interests me about XRDP is that in theory I can have
existing Windows clients connect to a Linux desktop that's on a remote
server so I don't have to install or dual boot Linux on those machines.
 Also, RDP is fast.

Regards,
- Robert