[PLUG] rj45 to bnc balun?

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Tue Jul 31 07:29:52 UTC 2007

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Done some searching using Google but most of the references are about
> using CAT 5 to transmit video.  I need to connected a computer with a
> RJ45 connected to a coax cable network drop.  A very small office but a
> complete re-wire (CAT 5) is a last choice.
>   Of course a PCI card that connects to a COAX network that will work
> with Vista would be an OK solution.  Yup, I dealing with MS stuff
> because there is a Linux server in the office, they are friends, and the
> Windows 98 machine _died_.
>
> There are a few Windows (DOS box) applications or I'd stick a Linux
> desktop in.
>
> Anyone have manufacturers and/or model suggestions for a BNC to RJ45/CAT
> 5 adapter?

10Mb and half duplex!  And with topology that can brake the whole
network in half with a single wiring fault?  I'll take the re-wire.  Or
better yet, just go wireless if the office is that small.  Larry
mentioned something about $220/drop.  I'm thinking ouch to that.  It
shouldn't be anywhere near that unless the wall and ceilings are
horrible for running cable.  But again, if this is so small, go wireless.

--
- m0gely