[PLUG] vim question

Russ Gilman-Hunt (YAR) gilmanhunt at comcast.net
Thu Jun 7 04:00:25 UTC 2007

I've used vim for roughly ten years. I'm not particularly encouraged to
try any other text editors, my fingers are just fine with input and
command mode, tyvm.

However, my vim use is rudimentary and I'm working on rounding it out
with a few "new tricks." The one I'm working on now is "indenting a
line with >> and unindenting it with <<"

But I seem to be confused with some terminology. I want me indents on
the sides to be tabs (when I hit enter, tab, to write the inside of a
function) , and I want my >> to, basically, insert one tab on the side,
but sometimes ( depending on which machine I happen to be working on)
it doesn't seem to work that way.

So I'm missing something, and it's probably a definition thing; if I
have 'auto-indent' turned on, what's the name of the setting for
this ... indent thing?

--
Russ Gilman-Hunt
http://www.arghwebworks.com/