[PLUG] striping in LVM or md?

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 20:33:40 UTC 2007

# from Dan Young
# on Thursday 07 June 2007 09:14 am:

>> Thanks, that's basically what it looks like I'm going to do.  I was
>> hoping that I could get "mostly striped", but I guess not.  How
>> linear is "linear"?
>
>I'd guess mostly linear if you're starting from empty PVs, except
>until you've done any pvmove type operations that would fragment
>allocation.

The LVM manpage implies that my choices for allocation policy are
"normal" or "one of the unimplemented types".  :-D

On further experimentation, I see that I can lvcreate with -i 2 for
striping *up to* the least common size, but lvextend will allow "-i 1"
to add the rest of the available space without striping.  So, there's
the "mostly striped" functionality that I was wanting.  I'll guess that
it will fill the striped areas first.

According to the docs, this mixed striping is only supported in LVM2.

--Eric
--
Like a lot of people, I was mathematically abused as a child.
--Paul Graham