[PLUG] Update: Accessing Motorola RAZR V3c cell phone

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Jun 9 00:42:09 UTC 2007

Matt McKenzie wrote:

> I don't have a RAZR, but assuming it has Bluetooth, have you tried BitPim?
> www.bitpim.org
> Its a nice little program that works on Linux and Windoze.
> I have used it with my Verizon locked LG Vx8100.

I did think about Bluetooth. I use a Bluetooth head set with the phone.
One of these days I'll drop into Pacific Solutions and see if they can
let me try to connect my phone to my laptop with one of their Bluetooth
units. If it works, I'll buy it. (One of the useful things about buying
locally -- try it before you buy it.)

> On a side note, once you have more open and ready access to your phone, if
> you are into this kinda thing, you can use an audio editor and trim your
> favorite MP3s and use them as your own ringtones, ...

That's a great feature, but one I probably would never use. I prefer
vibrate instead of a ring tone. When my phone rings, I'd rather not
annoy the people around me. Also, I can feel the phone vibrate on my
belt even when going down the freeway with the windows open. To do that
with a ring tone, I'd have to have it turned up too much.

>> One day I'll upgrade to a TREO running Palm software...

> WRT corp philosophy and etc- this is why many of us use Linux :)
> Vive le FLOSS!

Right arm!

The current Linux Journal has a picture of a presentation slide showing
that Palm is moving their work into Linux (I don't recall just what that
means, and I don't have the magazine at hand). The chart compared Palm
OS to Windows Mobile (I think - MS software, anyway).

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens