[PLUG] OT: Cell Phone Resurrection: Palm Treo

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Jun 11 03:34:58 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 17:13 -0700, Charles Sliger wrote:
> My Palm Treo 700P was given a ride through the washing machine. (you can't
> get good help these days)
>
> I took it apart and dried it out.
>
> It appears to function but can't be fully tested because the touch-screen no
> longer works.
>
> You can see a mixture of water and detergent beneath the top membrane of the
> screen.
>
> I couldn't see any way of opening the screen to clean it out.
>
> Anyone out there had any experience with this?
>
> Is it possible to get a replacement screen?

Almost certainly.  I once replaced the screen in my Palm IIIci after I
cracked it and a couple months ago I took apart an already-broken Treo
600 and it looked like the screen was replaceable.  You will probably
need a Torx driver size T-5 or so; they are often sold as "cell phone
screwdrivers."  I think I eventually managed to find mine at Home Depot,
but only after looking in their tool section for way too long.

You can probably find information on the forums at <URL:
http://www.pdaphonehome.com/>, <URL:http://discussion.treocentral.com/>
and <URL:http://forum.treonauts.com/> , particularly disassembly
instructions and source for the replacement screen.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
http://nakedape.cc/wiki/