[PLUG] Palm Treo 700p

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 11 20:35:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Wil Cooley wrote:

> I USB Bluetooth dongle can be had for $10-$20; I don't know if it's
> worthwhile or not, but I had to do work remotely a few weeks ago with a
> company-supplied laptop and phone and there were times when the mass of
> cables on the tiny coffee-shop table was hazardous. It would have also
> been nice to be able to put the phone higher in hopes of better reception.

Wil,

   If I go this route, I'll see if ENU carries them.

> If you're with Verizon, though, I hope you have checked the costs of their
> data service--it's absurdly expensive. (I don't know about other
> carriers.) I use a dial-up account when I'm in a pinch, but it's horribly
> slow (even for dial-up it's slow) and takes ages to actually connect.
> It's also sorta questionable whether those doing dial-up should be charged
> for data rates (and may be surprised by in the future).

   I've checked nothing yet. For the past decade I've used only their voice
capabilities ... and received three text messages.

   Using the phone as a wireless modem when WiFi is not freely available
would be nice, but not essential. I sometimes find myself with a long wait
at the airport departure gate, and access to my e-mail and the web would be
nice. But, it's never been essential and if the cost is too high I'll just
continue to forego it.

> You would probably get better help with this stuff on the forums I posted
> links to in my response to Chaz.

   I'll look at those after I talk with the retail sales folks at the Verizon
store.

Many thanks,