[PLUG] Wireless (Cellular or other) Data Service

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Jun 11 20:55:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> (Forking the Treo thread)
>
> Wil Cooley wrote:
>
>> If you're with Verizon, though, I hope you have checked the costs of
>> their data service--it's absurdly expensive.
>
> Perhaps this is a good time to begin a survey of such services. I asked
> about Verizon's data service while looking for a way to get the photos
> off my RAZR phone and found the rate to be similar to my Comcast
> service: about $60/month.
>
> What other services are available to connect to the Internet via a
> cellular phone type of device, either a cell phone, a PDA, or a card for
> the laptop? And, of course, what do they charge per month?

The price cannot be as bad as QWorst.  You get a whole 135megs (yes MEGS)
for $39.95 a month.  And that is the high volume service. At the lowest
level you pay 2 cents a Kilobyte.  (They don't tell you the rates until
after you get the pda phone.)

T-Mobile cleaims to have "unlimited service" for $20 a month.  I did not
have the time to verify the rates.  (They may get you for higher per
minute charges elsewhere.)

Another good comparison would be the average age of the phones offered.
Another place Qworst will come in dead last.

"Have you ever notice that EVERYONE hates the Phone Company?  Even Bedoins
hate the Phone Company."
          - The President's Analyst

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct