[PLUG] New xorg and laptops with external displays (2)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Jun 17 03:48:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 02:49:00PM -0700, Paul Mullen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 12:20:46PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> > Is there any easy way to clone the display, to emulate the behavior
> > of the past?
>
> There is, if you consider hacking your xorg.conf to be easy. I found
> this guide very helpful:
>
>   <http://ozlabs.org/~jk/docs/mergefb/>
>
> There may also be some whizbang KDE/GNOME way of getting there, too,
> but I'm not aware of one.

Actually, it turned out that the old xorg.conf worked with cloning,
/except/ that I had my laptop BIOS set incorrectly (the primary
display was set for the external "PCI" video, not the internal "AGP"
video.  On the older xorg servers, that was ignored, but the newer
xorg servers are more capable and can split the frame buffers, and do
so.  The post is good, because it pointed at some valuable information,
and clued me in to read the radeon(4) man page, which tells what all
the optional parameters do.

Keith