[PLUG] CruiseControl and Dashboard

Ted Kubaska tkubaska at charter.net
Sun Jun 17 22:04:51 UTC 2007

Has anyone used the dashboard under CruiseControl? I'm just trying to
bring it up and the docs are very confusing. CruiseControl is working
fine for me but really would like to use this nifty dashboard.

Lots of stuff on how great the dashboard is but little information on
how to set it up. The only install info I've been able to find is on
http://geoffreyarnold.com/index.php/wiki/view?page=4

Here's what it says with my comments... (sorry about the frustration
that's leaking through). I'm willing to learn this on my own but can't
even find anything to read. The CruiseControl mail list archive has tons
of messages about using, zippo on installing.

1.
Start CruiseControl, being sure to specify the -port argument, ie.
$CC_BIN/cruisecontrol.sh -port 8000 -configfile ./config.xml

ted: clear enough ... this is just the standard way to start CC with the
JMX console. But actually -port is deprecated and -jmxport is
recommended. Surprising to see -port on something that is so new.

2.
Download and expand CruiseControl.wdgt-1.0.zip into your
~/Library/widgets directory.

ted: easy to download but what Library directory is he referring to.
There is a Library directory in the download. So does this mean there
will be Library/Library directories (seems a silly interpretation on my
part). The tilde leads me to believe that the library is in my home, but
that doesn't make any sense.

3.
Switch to Dashboard and launch the widget. If this is the first time you
have launched the widget (or you are upgrading from a previous release),
the Preferences panel will be displayed upon startup. Fill out the
required values and click "Save" to start the widget.

ted: I have no idea what "Switch to Dashboard and launch the widget"
means. I looked at the JMX console that came up (hoping...) but saw no
mention of dashboard.