[PLUG] End of an (uptime) era

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Jun 18 07:01:34 UTC 2007

This evening, the neighborhood had an extended power outage.  Not that
long really, but 5 or 10 minutes.  Long enough to outlast the aging
battery in the low-end UPS a couple of my computers were plugged into.
When the last trickle of AC power left the UPS, the machine I have
been reading/writing email and occasionally working on for 3+ years
without a reboot took a brief nap.

On March 11, 2004 I built a then-brand-spanking-new 2.4.25 kernel and
rebooted.  Until about 8:15 this evening, the machine, a dual-proc 500
MHz (slot 1) P3, had been running continuously ever since.  In the
meantime, an unused IDE drive had died.  A front-grill fan had seized,
but the box was bopping along just fine until mr electron and his
many, many friends decided to take a break from their 60 Hz dance for
a while.

I had just this afternoon bragged at the clinic to the person I was
helping about the massive uptime.  I guess I jinxed myself.  It makes
me sad, but there we are.  An opportunity to rejoin the 21st century
with a new 2.6 kernel.  The king is dead.  Long live the king.  Or
something.

seniorr at aracnet.com