[PLUG] can access an intranet site with Linux but not with Windows?

Ted Kubaska tkubaska at charter.net
Tue Jun 19 05:54:35 UTC 2007

Here's a curious Linux/Windows thing that is troubling me. I posted a
similar question on the .Net list, but discussions that have Linux in
them often remain quiet there.

I can access a site with Linux and not with Windows. Is there something
in my Windows configuration that's preventing this? I don't know where
to look.  (I temporarily turned off my Windows firewall and see the same
problem.)

One of the machines in my local network is a Linux box. On that machine
I have apache that serves up a site. I can access this site from that
same Linux box. And I can access it from another Linux box on my local
network. I put http://192.168.1.100/phpinfo.php in my browser, and see
what I expect.

However, if I am on a Windows XP box on my local network and do the
same (that is access from Windows the site on my local Linux box), I get
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I see the
same problem with Firefox.

Does anyone know what there is in Windows that is preventing this
access?
-ted