[PLUG] mutt (or other text mail reader), html, and w3m

Ali Corbin ali.corbin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:07:44 UTC 2007

On 6/19/07, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> I had forgotten how to configure it when I upgraded my mail server
> from Redhat-Prehistoric to SL5.  For those of you who have also
> forgotten, you edit /etc/mailcap:
>
> ### text/html; /usr/bin/htmlview %s ; copiousoutput
> text/html; /usr/bin/w3m -T text/html %s ; copiousoutput

I'll see your html and raise you a pdf and an msword:

text/html; /usr/bin/links %s ; copiousoutput
application/pdf; pdftotext %s - ; copiousoutput
application/msword; antiword %s ; copiousoutput

And when all else fails, mutt.octet.filter.pl will try to figure out
what the attachment really is and display it inline.

application/octet-stream;  mutt.octet.filter.pl %s; copiousoutput

(This is my set-up for work, where people send all sorts of silly
files in email.)

Ali