[PLUG] help! make usb keyboard stop working

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:45:38 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I can easily find the opposite answer, the problem that I have is that I
want to plug in a usb keyboard (actually a magstripe reader (and a
numeric keypad)) and have it *not* connect to the standard usb keyboard
interface (I still need to be able to get data from it, though raw
scancodes are fine.)

I can rmmod usbhid, but then /dev/input/event3 goes away.

How can I (with kernel 2.6.18, debian etch) setup the console to ignore
a specific "keyboard" while still being able to read it (raw or
otherwise) explicitly?

I would prefer a solution that does not involve writing a kernel driver
(unless I don't have to maintain it) because it needs to be fairly easy
to setup with a few instructions.  Possibly a udev config?

I think what I want to do is tell the console to only
read /dev/input/event0.  How?

I've seen some pages about recompiling kernel 2.4, multiple keyboards in
X, etc.  "Disable usb keyboard" and "read specific keyboard device" and
similar searches are failing me (miserably.)

Thanks,
Eric
--
"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana."
--Groucho Marx