[PLUG] Multiple USB Ports Active On One Connection

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 13:39:04 UTC 2007

IIRC, this is normal for palm-like deivces. My old Clie did this, and so did
my visor, and my newer clie. I saw an explanation a long time ago, but I
don't remember exactly what it was. I'm surprised that David D didn't seem
to know about it. I just tried both of them when syncing, and one or the
other would work. Sometimes they would flip-flop, requiring a reconfig of my
client.

On 6/22/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>    I bought a Treo 700p yesterday and am trying to restore the PDA
> databases
> from jpilot on the desktop. However, when I plug in the USB cable to the
> front of the machine, /var/log/messages shows it attached to both
> ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1:
>
> Jun 22 05:59:30 salmo kernel: usb 1-4: new full speed USB device using
> ohci_hcd and address 17
> Jun 22 05:59:30 salmo kernel: usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1
> choice
> Jun 22 05:59:30 salmo kernel: visor 1-4:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> converter detected
> Jun 22 05:59:30 salmo kernel: usb 1-4: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> converter
> now attached to ttyUSB0
> Jun 22 05:59:30 salmo kernel: usb 1-4: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> converter
> now attached to ttyUSB1
>
>    Never before have I seen this.
>
>    There is no /dev/ttyUSBn, but there is /dev/tts/USB0 and /dev/tts/USB1.
> Also, in /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules, there is the line,
>
> KERNEL="ttyUSB[0-9]*",  NAME="tts/USB%n", GROUP="tty", MODE="0660"
>
>    It was suggested to me by David Desrosiers, the author of pilot-link,
> that
> I change the KERNEL value to "tts/USB[0-9]*", but that made no difference.
>
>    I'd really appreciate an explanation of what's going on and what I
> should
> do to get a connection on only a single port so I can restore data to the
> PDA.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich
>
> --
> Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
> Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |          Accelerator(TM)
> <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax:
> 503-667-8863

-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-