[PLUG] Sheet Music Concordance Project

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 20:06:56 UTC 2007

# from Richard C. Steffens
# on Friday 22 June 2007 08:45 am:

>Once in, the system would allow
>the user to enter a word or phrase and then return a list of the solos
>containing that word or phrase. Selecting one of them would display
> the text of the solo, and highlight the word or phrase.

The search scheme in dotReader does the find+highlight in xml (inserts a
css-styled span element around the found terms.)  You just need to turn
your data into "books" of some sort (the formats are pluggable, so
which one you choose depends on whether or not you want to write some
Perl (or even python if you're so-inclined.))

As a side-benefit, you get the ability to bookmark/highlight/note your
lyrics and share those annotations with other users online.

>The ideal situation would be a web based tool, with the data on the
>user's computer, as opposed to a server on the Internet. I am prepared
>to install Apache, PHP, and MySQL on each of the users' computers --
>there would only be 2 or 3.

How about "open source and runs on windows, mac, and linux" with a
standalone out-of-the-box executable?  Rather than a webserver, we have
an xml engine that writes directly into the back of a browser (mozilla,
webkit, (and I.E., but I'm working on killing that)) widget.

  http://dotreader.com/

Feel free to ping me if you need some more information.

--Eric
--
[...proprietary software is better than gpl because...] "There is value
in having somebody you can write checks to, and they fix bugs."